Sunday, February 12, 2006

Want studies? I have studies.

Instead of quoting the PETA-affiliated PCRM, perhaps we should try a more reliable source of medical info, such as Pub Med? Here's a study I stumbled upon today, done in 1997, that shows low-fat diets had no healthful effect on postmenopausal women.

Conclusion?

"Because all of these changes would increase risk of ischemic heart disease in postmenopausal women, it seems reasonable to question the wisdom of recommending that postmenopausal women consume low-fat, high-carbohydrate diets."

Full abstract at Pub Med.

And here's a 2004 study where higher carbohydrates were associated with progression of heart problems, and higher saturated fat (yes, saturated fat) was associated with a lower incidence of heart problems.

"In postmenopausal women with relatively low total fat intake, a greater saturated fat intake is associated with less progression of coronary atherosclerosis, whereas carbohydrate intake is associated with a greater progression."

PubMed article

Full text from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition is here.

This is just a smattering of the research available online, but most people want others to think for them rather than do their own research. I believe I blogged about this before, didn't I?

Think for yourselves, people! Do a little research using a reputable source. I have, and my body has thanked me for it with greater health then ever before.

H/T: Weight of the Evidence for giving me a heads-up on these studies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello from Montreal, Canada.
My name is Wren.
Wow, I read your profile and think that it is extremely encouraging and powerful.
Keep up the amazing road you have found and chosen.
God bless you!

http://s3.invisionfree.com/Hearts_Afire