Saturday, February 11, 2006

Living the Low Carb Life, Chapter 4

Chapter 1 review - Chapter 2 review - Chapter 3 review

This chapter covers diet drugs and vitamin and mineral supplements. First Jonny Bowden tackles diet drugs, saying that the only reason is doing so is because their ability to be bought online with a prescription presents a very strong temptation for many people. However, he cautions, these drugs are of limited use (very limited), are expensive, and often have side effects. All those factors combined mean they are just not worth it.

Next up is supplements, which he passionately believes in. Between his recommendation and Del raving about it on About's Weight Loss forum, I am taking fish oil capsules as of today.

Here's a list of all the supplements he covers. If you want to know more about them, you need this book! All these supplements can help with weight loss, and he explains what each one is for and how it can help. None will cause weight loss; they are just an aid. Not everyone needs every supplement.

fiber (I take this at night)
B Complex (I take this in the morning and swear by it for energy - take this!)
B5
B6 (included in my multi-vitamin packet)
Vitamin C (included in my multi-vitamin packet)
Vitamin E (included in my multi-vitamin packet)
Omega 3s (fish oil - I'm taking this now)
GLA (Gamma Linolenic Acid)
Magnesium (25% RDA is included in my multi-vitamin packet)
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Chromium (included in my multi-vitamin packet)
High-Dose Biotin
Carnitine
CoQ10
Green Tea (this is part of a current supplement I take, plus I drink two huge mugs of tea per day)
Ginseng (this is part of my multi-vitamin packet)
5-HTP
Bitter Orange (there are some warnings connected with this one - I can't take it)
Glutamine
Neptune Krill Oil

Under "Possibly Helpful" we find these supplements:

Gymnema Sylvestre
Hydroxycitrate (Hydroxycitric Acid)
Banaba Leaf Extract (Corosolic Acid) - no, NOT banana leaf; banaBa leaf

Under "Not recommended at This Time" we find these supplements:

CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid)
Flaxseed Oil (for Men)
Vanadium (Vanadyl Sulfate) (my multi-vitamin includes 10 mcg)

I need to sit down with this book and my vitamins and see what I have covered and what is not, and/or if I need to change the dosages of what I take.

No comments: