Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Rest in peace, Lazarus

Christmas Day was a cheat day so I don't have macronutrient totals for yesterday.
Weight this morning: 141 (One week ago: 140.6)
Calories burned in exercise today: 101

After stuffing myself yesterday I'm not very hungry today.

iMacWell, it finally died. My 9-year-old iMac breathed its last and gave up the ghost last night. It was the original Bondi Blue model created in 1998. Like Lazarus in the Bible, it was once resurrected, but even Lazarus eventually died and so too has my computer, who's hard drive was named Lazarus.

What happened is I tried to restart the computer in OS 9 to see if I could get videos onto the computer that way. I followed the procedures and it dinged, came up with a bluish-gray screen and just sat there. And with my CD drive broken I can't use the disk to at least get back to OS X. I'm locked out. It tries to start up is OS 9 each time and fails. I have to pull the plug.

I promised myself that when the computer died again it was time for a new one. So I tried to buy a new computer today through Bill Me Later, but it was declined. I called Bill Me Later and they said it was too much - I need to get it under $2000. I don't have another credit card, so I have to do this the slow way. Tomorrow I will talk to Gary downstairs about cashing in what little I have saved from the $35 they've been taking from each paycheck. I have 92 hours of vacation time, so I'll also talk to Jon about cashing in 52 hours (saving out 40 for Conference next year), and the couple days of holiday time I have. I'm also taking whatever overtime is in my next two checks and putting that toward my computer. With luck I can get enough money to to get the computer down to $2000.

Then I'll put the money in my bank, use my debit Mastercard to pay what I can, and put the rest on Bill Me Later. At any rate, I will not be able to get online from home until all this is done, the computer is sent, and my computer guy transfers the hard drive over.

Needless to say, I am not a happy camper.

I have a feeling it's God's doing again. I have been neglecting time with Him and in His word. You'll recall this happened once before in August. I can't get away with what I used to. He is calling me into a deeper relationship with Him, and like the foolish human I am, I am fighting it every step of the way. Due to the new camera, the age of the computer, and my slow connection, I have spent a lot of time online lately just dealing with photo stuff. The easiest way to get my attention and give me the time to spend with Him is to take it away.

I'll keep doing Project 365, but just leave the photos stored on my camera.

On a totally different subject Brad found this Web page about the true meaning of the song "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" and the meaning of "Merry Christmas." Check it out!

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: