Friday, July 17, 2009

A response to my critics

I'm receiving more blog comments from critics. Let's get a few things straight since people seem to think I live some sort of high maintenance lifestyle.

1) The iPod is a big deal for me for the simple reason that I am NOT rich.
2) I live in a tiny studio apartment for which I struggle to pay the rent each month.
3) The only reason I can afford my gym membership is because I pre-paid 3 years when I moved out of my old apartment and received my security deposit back. This was back before things got really bad when the economy went south.
4) I have never claimed to be a perfect Christian. No Christian is perfect. We all have our demons and struggles. This blog is all of me - the good and the bad.

I don't even own a car. I take the bus or train or walk everywhere. Bus and train fares have gone up recently, grocery prices have gone up, and my pay rate at my employer - let's just say that no one got a "cost of living" adjustment this year.

My friend and I never go out to eat anymore unless it's someplace really cheap. I shop at WalMart for everything I can. I'd buy groceries there if it was a Super WalMart, but it is just a regular one. I buy shoes from Payless and usually only when they have a "buy one get one half off" sale.

I don't need anybody to finance my "lifestyle" because I have a simple lifestyle. Here's a YouTube video I made of my apartment so you can see what a "high maintenance" lifestyle I live. :-p

By the way, the laptop computer in the video was bought quite a while back, in better times. My old Mac lasted 9 years, but finally gave up the ghost. No one put one dime toward the new one except me. I paid it off by myself and it has long since been completely paid off.

Next, for those of you who think I drink too much, you are probably right. It's one of the demons I struggle with. When does "enough" become too much? I have severe depression, and while my medication helps a great deal, I have a tendency to resort to alcohol when things are crazy. However, I want to make it clear that I don't drink every day. My diet simply can't handle that many calories.

It's no secret that my sister and I don't get along. We have nothing in common and while I love the heck out of her, I don't like to hang out with her. She considers me the "weird" sister, sort of like how we made fun of Aunt Margaret when we were kids. Margaret and I are similar and I get viewed like her - never married, don't want kids, only a couple really close friends, and neither of us ever learned how to drive. I can be a bit anti-social. My sister doesn't understand me because she is a social butterfly and loves being married with kids. I'm happy for her, but it's not the life I want.

2 comments:

pendell said...

I have no interest in criticizing you, sis. But I did want to ask about the light rail crash in SF. You weren't on one of those trains, were you?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Unknown said...

I didn't even know there was a crash. I haven't been into the City itself in almost 2 weeks, and I almost never take the light rail.