Thursday, August 23, 2007

New workout, muscle gain, & menses

Calories eaten yesterday: 1300
Fat: 35g (26%)
Carbs: 100g (33%)
Protein: 121g (40%)
Weight this morning: 137.8 (One week ago: 137.4)
Calories burned in exercise today: 262

A lot happened since my last post, so this is going to be rather long.

I went to the gym today and after my hour of weight training I tried out the treadmill workout in the new Muscle & Fitness Hers issue. Some part were easy and some part (okay, just the left and right sidestep) were exceedingly hard and I would lower the speed and/or cheat on the movement. I had to hold onto the treadmill to ever stay on my feet.

My 30 minutes of cardio flew by on this program and I felt great afterwords. I wasn't exhausted like I usually am after a workout, but I was sweating.

The magazine also suggested a high-GI carb after a workout. It raises insulin, which helps shuttle protein into cells. I don't expect it would have to be much, and as long as I kept my carbs in check the rest of the day it shouldn't make my total carbs go too high.

I wouldn't trust myself with a lot of high-GI carbs such as Cheese-It's or saltines, and sugar gives me acne so I want to stay away from that. I'm considering a slice of white bread with some sugar-free jam to make it more palatable, folded in half to make it more portable. It would only be on workout days. Insulin helps to shuttle protein into muscle cells and a high-GI carbs give a nice insulin spike.

I think a lack of insulin in my system might be keeping me from progressing (I have low insulin levels). At any rate, I'll think about it more and take a look at the carbs and calories in white bread the next time I am at the store. I'll also look at other high-GI foods that would be portable.

I had a cool NSV (non-scale victory) at the gym! After my workout I got dressed and this one woman walked into the dressing room and used a locker not far from mine. She asked me if I was drinking a Slimfast in my shaker container. I said no; it was an EAS shake with a scoop of whey powder mixed into it. I later added that I also threw in some BCAAs since it's supposed to help with muscle gain. She asked me if I was training for anything specific and I said no, I just wanted to get a bit buff and showed her one of my biceps. She seemed impressed.

She said that she's seen me for at least the last year at the gym. I said I've been coming for 2 1/2 years - 3 years this fall. She said I looked good. I said I started at Curves at over 200 pounds and came to 24 Hour Fitness when I was about 170. I've lost about 65 pounds. She was shocked and said that she just figured I was one of those women who could lose weight easily. I said no, it's been a real struggle and she asked me what the most important thing was. I said the single biggest factor has been diet, and that I cut out the starches and sugars - sugar in fact makes me break out. She said she has a hard time eating well. (She didn't look overweight to me. Her weight was good, her physique was good.)

My Parastroy and Candistroy came today. That was fast since I just ordered them online on Sunday! I'll cut out bread and start the Candistroy on Sunday. The GNC Complete Body Cleansing Program I am currently doing ends on Saturday.

Weekend plans: Hike with Brad Friday afternoon down the trail we did last week, but continue all the way to the West Ridge Trail. This involves a lot of down (and therefore a lot of up). I was too tired last week from giving blood but I am up for a challenge this week!

Saturday: Church and then Brad will cook dinner. I requested ham & cheese omlets (I'll have mostly whites in mine), with a side dish of sauteed veggies since Brad had a bunch left over that need to be used. The ham is turkey ham and the cheese is low-fat.

Today's Daily Dose on the NutriSystem site had this challenge:
* Make a list of 10 activities you will do from September 1st - December 1st that will help your weight loss.

For starters, how about the "fall cleaning" that many of us do around the house this time of year. That would count!

Or how about other activities that are unique to this time of year like apple picking, raking leaves or gardening. Also, note that yes, both Halloween and Thanksgiving are fair game here—so you can add "to-don’t" things ("I won’t eat the Halloween candy!") to your ten, too.


Ok, I can't do 10, but here's a few:
1) I won't eat Halloween candy. (Not hard since I'll be working that night and there won't be any candy in my house, lol.)

2) I'll continue going to the gym and walk to work on non-gym days unless it's raining.

3) I'll keep my calories below 1300 Sunday-Wednesday, and try not to let it get out of control on the other days (I drink alcohol on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays and that tends to drive my calories up.

4) I will stick closely to my diet and eat healthier on my cheat days.

5) I'll try to eat about 140g of protein a day.

6) I'll fully clean one room, either the kitchen or bathroom and scrub down all surfaces.

Ok, skip the rest of this post if discussion of female issues will offend you. Don't make fun of me because you have been warned! Proceed at your own risk!

As many of you know, my periods have been strange. I started skipping late last year and would menstruate about every other month. In March of this year it just stopped completely and I haven't had one since then - until yesterday. Yesterday, out of the blue for no apparent reason, I started again. I'm going to monitor myself closely, but so far it appears to be a very typical period.

This period may explain a bunch of things - binging last Saturday. I think giving blood the day before combined with PMS cravings for carbs was just too much. I was also really grumpy yesterday and snapped at Brad for no real reason. I guess it was PMS. :)

By the way, working out really does help with menstrual issues. I popped three Advil this morning to head off any cramps before I got them (at that time there was a feeling of pressure and slight pain), and dragged myself off to the gym. By the time I finished my weights and new treadmill workout I was energized and felt great! Endorphins really does kick butt with the blah feeling that menstruation gives. You don't want to work out, but the pay off is worth it.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , ,

No comments: