Sunday, November 25, 2007

Obeying God

This Saturday really got me thinking about God and my own spiritual life.

First there was church. It was unusual. We had over 30 people (big for us), due mostly to people visiting family for the Thanksgiving holiday. Eric was there so we did two sets of praise songs instead of one set of hymns and one set of praise songs using Brent and Carla's worship CD. Live music! Oh yeah! There was something about Eric being there and the energy of more people than usual. I was on the end of a row closest to a set of windows. I couldn't help but stand up, move slightly off to the side, and truly worship, arms raised in the air. It was a wonderful feeling, one I haven't felt in a long time. I really felt praise and had to express it. I couldn't keep it in.

The sermon was about obeying God. Pastor Steve challenged us to find just one area of our lives where we struggled with obedience, and obey God in that. There's so many areas I hardly know where to start. I've slacked off not just on prayer (which is normal for me), but even on my daily devotional readings.

I also need to get more serious about obeying Him by not buying stuff on Sabbath. That means not going to Starbucks for coffee or breakfast sandwiches, and not eating out on Friday nights after sunset (like the days I give blood I go out to eat and binge).

These are just a few of the areas where I have trouble obeying Him, and yet I know I should obey.

Saturday night Brad and I Pay Per Viewed Evan Almighty. I was not disappointed. It was a good movie and was also about obeying God no matter what the consequences, or whether or not it makes sense. At the end of the movie you can see that God did know what he was doing and it all does make sense.

I liked Bruce Almighty which is why I wanted to see this movie. I highly recommend either. They are not anti-Christian in the least.

One thing I didn't realize until I recently read the synopsis on Bruce Almighty it that Bruce loses out to Evan Baxter for the anchor position at Channel 7 news. Yes, the same Evan! He has just a small part in Bruce Almighty where Bruce torments him with his new powers. Evan Almighty begins with Evan leaving his anchor position for the business world.

At any rate, Saturday's theme both at church and at home watching the movie was about obeying God. It's scary. God is calling me to a deeper relationship through obedience. I guess after more than 10 years I find it easier to trust Him, so the next step is obeying.

I don't even know where I'm going with this post, or if I'm going anywhere. I just needed to put down my thoughts on this and what God is trying to say to me.

What is God saying to you right now, trying to teach you? What does He want you to do for Him?

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Arthur_of_Old said...

In answer to your last question,

Obey and honor him. As it says, humble yourself in the sight of the Lord and He will lift you up.

Of course the Law. Love the Lord thy God with all your heart, all your mind, all your strenth and love your neighbor as yourself. On this hang all the law and the Prophets.