Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Week 20, Day 4

Calories eaten yesterday: 1378
Fat: 37g (26%)
Carbs: 118g (36%)
Protein: 121g (37%)

Weight this morning: 135.8 (One week ago: 135)
Calories burned in exercise today: 203

With the higher carb (and therefore higher calorie) food arriving yesterday, my calories are running well over 1400, so I figured I better step up the exercise. Today was grocery day, but I did hop on my exercise bike at home for 30 minutes, then did my usual walk to work from the BART station. That should help offset the higher calorie number.

Came across an interesting, but sad, article on obesity today. Why are Americans doing this to themselves? This is where our obsession with carbs - a totally unnecessary macronutrient - has gotten us:

Study predicts 75 percent overweight in U.S. by 2015

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - If people keep gaining weight at the current rate, fat will be the norm by 2015, with 75 percent of U.S. adults overweight and 41 percent obese, U.S. researchers predicted on Wednesday.

Studies show that 66 percent of U.S. adults were overweight or obese in 2003 and 2004. An alarming 80 percent of black women aged 40 or over are overweight and 50 percent are obese.


Read the full story.

Living in a poor area I see this around me everyday. People eat up the carbs because they are cheap, and they pay the price in their health and appearance. Ditch the carbs and eat up on the protein and fat your body really needs!

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

Arthur_of_Old said...

That was an interesting article! Kind of an eye opener.
It indicates how high it is now, (66%) which was a surprise to me. However that was in 2003-2004. What may it be now?? If this was cancer or anything else like it, we would be all scrambling for a cure. Yet, this is amongst the easiest to correct. Thanks V.

Anonymous said...

Your comment about being poor is an issue for me (being on a low income), but one reflex I have discovered is that when I almost run out of money (say $10 left until payday) my first instinct is to go and spend it on low quality food: bread, cakes etc.

I believe this instinct has evolved because imagine a group of people - with little food to spare. One person decides to eat what's left and survives, the others starve to death. I'm sure that it has happened to our ancestors many, many times.

Arthur_of_Old said...

Yes, I have noticed that being poor does force people into somewhat unhealthy choices. But, wise planning can correct it. Getting healthy food does not have to be for those who can "afford it". Looking for berries is one of my joys. I love blueberries, and all of them frankly. I find them on sale and get double the normal. 1/2 price. For some even that is too high. So look for food outlets that give it for lower amounts. Apart form that you have to form a food coop with a few people or families, and then together this would open up new avenues for food choices.