Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Soy, sodium, & bloating

Calories eaten yesterday: 1426
Fat: 37g (25%)
Carbs: 105g (31%)
Protein: 142g (42%)

Weight this morning: 132.2 (One week ago: 133)
Calories burned in exercise today: 100

As you can see, I've done some fiddling with my blog. I moved the sidebar back to the left side just for a change and added a blog sticker. My sister-in-law has just been diagnosed with breast cancer and October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month so it seemed appropriate. One of my aunts died of cancer that started in her breast and spread to her liver. So the sticker seemed like the right thing to do. Click on the sticker to get your own for your blog.

I've got some bloating going on - just minor, but all in my belly as usual. It's either caused by soy or sodium. I've been eating a lot of soy hot dogs, but they are soy protein isolate, the purest kind of soy protein, so they shouldn't cause a problem.

The other possibility is that both the soy and turkey dogs are quite high in sodium. I wonder if my tummy might get flatter if I cut them both out and eat something else for lunch.

I've only had the soy burgers once, so they are not the cause, but they pack a hefty dose of soy protein concentrate, so I think they will have to be very occasional; I suspect I might end up with a problem if I eat too much of the concentrate.

So to recap: soy flour - huge problem for me; soy protein concentrate - possible problem in too high a dose for too long; soy protein isolate - shouldn't cause a problem, but who knows? Even the isolate does have some carbs and soy carbs are the entire problem.

Slept in today. Back to the gym tomorrow. I stayed late last night. Lisa's other job called her last minute so I was here an extra 45+ minutes.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Sir Carbfiend said...

Soy dogs? are those speciality foods?

Unknown said...

They are in the vegetarian refrigerated section. They aren't bad at all, but then, I actully like soy. I buy the "Smart Dogs" brand.