Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Day 36

36 days cheat freeWeight: 144.2
Calories eaten yesterday: 1398
Calories burned: 2151
Calorie deficit/overage: -753
Calories burned in exercise: 314

Down again today. I pretty much expected that. I lose during the week when I watch my calories, and gain it all back on the weekend when I don't watch my calories. I know it's just water fluctuations. As long as the Tuesday weigh-in is lower each week I can deal with that.

Oh, I forgot to mention, yesterday on the leg press I used a 45 pound weight on each side! Woohoo! I'm making progress! And my biceps are getting huge from all the arm exercises I do. :)

I came home to a mess last night. Not what I needed after a long day at work. Xena had gotten into the plastic bins where I keep my clothes and tipped three of the five over onto the floor. It took a while to clean up. I took this picture:

While I'm away, the cat will play...

Stupid cat. I know it was Xena because Abby has never shown any interest in the bins or their contents. This is not the first time Xena has done this and I had hoped she had learned her lesson. I guess not. Ah, life with cats.

Found 2007 calendars at the store today. :) I bought three. A "pathways" calendar and organizer/sticker calendar for me, and a dog calendar for my sister.

Since going low-calorie I haven't had to cook meat for my lunches, so today I mostly bought salad stuff for dinner - bagged salads, tomatoes, cucumbers, and dressing. I also bought the ingredients for the cauliflower potatoes, which I plan to bring to the church potluck again.

My sister sent me a little gift that arrived yesterday - a Starbucks mug with a bag of their anniversary blend. The note she wrote said that Starbucks and me were both created the same year - 1971.

The fat acceptance article I post on the low-carb forum resulted in major bashing of moi. Jimmy recently posted on this subject and I agree with him. Please click over there and read what he has to say.

Yesterday's menu:
9:30 a.m.:
8 oz. black coffee
1 cup Crystal Light

10:45 a.m.:
1.5 oz. (powdered) Keto Ketato mix

1:15 p.m. (post-workout):
Atkins chocolate delight shake

3 p.m.:
small Starbucks coffee with sugar-free vanilla syrup

5 p.m.:
unsweetened tea (2 large cups)

6:30 p.m.:
SlimFast chocolate low-carb shake

7 p.m.:
1 package shirataki noodles

8 p.m.:
1 can Hansen's diet soda

9 p.m.:
6 thin slices turkey lunchmeat
1 hard boiled egg
3 stalks of celery with
2 tablespoons sugar-free peanut butter

10 p.m.:
12 oz. Green & Crisp salad with
1/2 a tomato and
1/2 a large cucumber and
1/3 cup low-carb, low-calorie dressing

1 a.m.:
1 glass of wine
1 cup sugar free Jello

Total calories: 1398
Net carbs: 51g (16%)
Fat: 63g (44%)
Protein: 92g (28%)

Walked over 14,000 steps yesterday. 6.48 miles. I'll be lucky to break 10,000 today. Didn't go to the gym because it was grocery day and just made the 1.5 mile walk to work. I should be able to make it to the gym tomorrow.

Oh...I've broken over 300,000 steps and am closing in on 1/3 of my 1 million step goal. :) Check out my badge on the left.


Click to enlarge.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read through that thread. It's entitled War Zone, so I'm not surprised people had that reaction. They were bashing the sentiment, not you :)

Unknown said...

No, they aere bashing me - that I believe that NAAFA is a stupid group. I placed the thread in the War Zone and I'm glad I did. A mod would have moved it if I hadn't.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that NAAFA is doing a huge disservice to the very people they are trying to help. I think their hearts are in the right place, but they are taking the wrong approach. People who are overweight or obese SHOULD find a way to love and respect themselves as they are. They will need to love and respect themselves a lot to give themselves the awesome gift of weight loss and improved health. Even if they are currently healthy (as I was excpet for BP in the "pre-hypertenson" range) they would be likely preventing a lot of future health challenges by losing weight now. I still think the country as a whole has a very negative image of folks that are morbily obese and I do not believe in discrimination against someone based on size. I have also noticed that it is more and more "normal" to be overweight and if you are working on improving yourself, people can be very judgemental. As you know, when I started losing weight I was considered morbidly obese (I was about 120 pounds over my ideal weight). I did recieve a lot of support (with a few people here and there just waiting for me to fail). As I have gotten closer to what I think is the new socially acceptable size for a "normal" female in the midwest (I am a size 12/14 depending on the cut of the clothing)I have fewer and fewer supporters on my quest to lose weight. Instead of being the largest female in my office, I am now pretty much in the middle as far as size goes among the females in my office. Comments I have gotten lately...

her "why do you think you still need to lose weight" me, "because I'm still fat" her "you're not fat, you're just a sturdy girl like me, we'll never be skinny".

"you don't need to be on some extreme diet like that"

"you should just be happy with the size you are"

"be careful, if you think you are still fat you could end up with an eating disorder"

"you are so extreme, can't you just try one of my cookies"

Now, I AM proud of what I have accomplished so far, but I am not going to let that make me lazy in pursuing my ultimate goal (goal weight is 135 which is on the higher end of the range for my 5'4" frame). I DID have an eating disorder called compulsive eating, and I am still recovering from that, but, I will never have anorexia or bulimia as I love to eat and hate to puke. I have noticed people are comfortable with your size if you are a little bit bigger or the same size, I think because it makes them feel normal. My grandma and my mother-in -law still try to feed me things like apple salad and sweet potatoes because they are "good for you". You know, I think I get judged more now for what I eat than I did when I was morbidly obese and eating candy and chips every day. In general, people are judgemental. They judge people who do anything that makes them feel uncomfortable. Unfortunately, that is human nature. I can easily fall prey to the "my way is the best way" mindset on everything, not just diet, and I work on that all the time.

But, telling people, "your size is fine, eat whatever you want as long as you are happy" when they are morbidly obese is just irresponsible and wrong. When I look back at old pictures of me (when I wore a women's size 24) I wish someone close to me had said something. My whole family always told me I was beautiful, which I do appreciate, because I think having that in my self image gave me the drive I needed to lose the weight. I just wish someone had added on to that somewhere that they were concerned about my health. I was 31 and had gained a clothing size about every other year over the last 6 years with no sign of stopping. I was tired of not fitting comfortably in chairs. I wanted to buy clothes from the misses section. I knew I had a pretty face but when I looked in the mirror I was sometimes shocked at how fat I looked. My self image did not match that person looking back at me.

I guess I am saying if we have a person close to us who is morbidly obese we should not judge them, but love them enough to express our concern. Then help them find that drive and courage deep inside them to either try to improve their health or prevent future health problems for their own benefit and for the benefit of the people they love.

Anonymous said...

BradW says:

I think such organizations anesthetize people to the danger they are in. Making it harder for them to face there is an alternative to being obese. It is a cover for laziness and
apathy.

Seems these type people do not do well. Hard and long term challenges which require total commitment are not easy in regards to changing food habits. Surfeiting, or over indulging our culinary cravings is almost sacred in America. It is the American creed to indulge too much in everything it seems. As if it is a right and a privilege we possess.
Kinda like bragging we got it, might as well flaunt it.

I look at such groups like a group playing Russian roulette. Mostly harmless, but the one time it isn't, it's fatal. Some are willing to take a chance with their life. Those that care will not accept foolish endangerment of their life as an acceptable way of living.

The heart being in the right place does not justify this whatsoever with me. Like suggesting playing Russian Roulette to overcome your fear of guns!!! Helps, unless you fire with the bullet in the chamber. In either case the fear of guns is no more. Works everytime.