Sunday, September 03, 2006

Vegan insanity

Vegans really hate us low-carbers because we eat meat and other animal products (cheese, eggs, butter, etc.) Unfortunately, not everyone is as tolerant as my vegan friend Lira, or my raw vegan friend Tina. Some people feel they have to bash and/or ridicule anyone who doesn't believe in veganism.

In a blog post entitled "Health Points," some guy I don't even know ridicules me for calling pork rinds, "the perfect snack." They are, but I guess this sort of silliness is to be expected from someone who believes, "A diet-style rich in phytonutrients and low in animal protein will resolve your cravings, and hypoglycemic signals...Atkin’s [sic] has a history of dangerous and fraudulent statements that has injured the health and likely shortened the lives of thousands of people." In other words, he's just another crazy vegan with an ax to grind who thinks that carbohydrates should form the basis of our diet.

That worked real well for me. I guess carbohydrates are wonderful if being 70 pounds overweight (and I was still gaining) is "wonderful." The anti-Atkins people will never get their heads around basic nutrition. Carbohydrates aren't necessary people! There is no such thing as an "essential carbohydrate." There are essential proteins and fats, however. Jeez...biology 101 here.

Therefore, since carbohydrates are not essential, they should not form the basis of our diet. Basic logic, no? Give your body what it needs (protein and fat), not what it doesn't need (carbohydrates). Long-time readers here know that most of the carbs I eat come from vegetables and non-sweet fruits (such as tomato and cucumber, both of which are fruits). These are the only carbs I eat because they give me all the vitamins and minerals I need with minimal carbs to wreck my blood sugar.

I left a comment on the blog post. Who wants to take bets on whether it passes moderation? LOL

Keep on keeping on, people! Living la vida low-carb has always been the healthiest way to eat. Let vegans eat their low-fat beans and rice. Give me a steak with lots of yummy fat and protein! :)

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Unfortunetly, I can't post. I've tried both my blogger name and my Google name and it doesn't like either one and you don't have an e-mail address.

You're dead wrong on what ketosis is by the way. It is not dangerous and does not "pressurize" the kidneys. Read up on it at Wikipedia.

Anonymous said...

I've been reading a few blogs on the Atkins diet because I am thinking about getting on it, is the basis of the diet meat and vegetables,or just meat, someone told me vegetables are also an important part of the diet, is this true? If so how much vegetables does Atkins say to eat each day?

Thanks.