Friday, January 27, 2006

The End of the Spear, Movie Review

Bring the tissues. And get ready to believe in the power of the Holy Spirit to change hearts and lives, even to some people being willing to give their lives. This was a really good film and will make you cry.

It begins with Steve Saint, as an adult, being led down the river by a native Waodani tribesmen, Mincayani. At the end of the movie we find out that Mincayani wanted to show him something. But at the beginning of the film we see them setting up a small camp, and Mincayani walks several yards off and starts digging with his hands in the vegetation. Then we are transported back to the beginning of the story.

Steve Saint narrates throughout the film. The Waodani speak in their native language, and there are subtitles. We are shown the first contact with the Waodani, the misunderstanding, and the killing of the five missionaries who wanted nothing more than to help these people: Nate Saint, Jim Elliot, Ed McCully, Pete Fleming, and Roger Youderian. The Gospel is interwoven, but using the Waodani's symbols and words.

At the end of the film, back at the small camp the movie begins with, we find out that Steve Saint's father was killed by Mincayani, the man who he was in the company of. When given a chance at revenge, he nearly gives in, but finally says, "No one killed my father. My father gave his life." And then Steve-as-narrator speaks: "My father's life was ended at the end of the spear. At the end of the spear, Mincayani and I found ours."

The End of the Spear

I highly recommend visiting the movie's website and clicking on the "story" link on the left side. Reading this synopsis will prepare you much better for the film. I admit to being somewhat lost because I didn't bother to read the synopsis first.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, talking with Jane and Doug on Jim and Elizabeth Elliot with the closeness of that was so good to me. When I read the book years ago it seemed I had a connection and it inspired me though I was in sin. In Church but as yet unrepentant. Thank you for such a wonderful day of worship. Keep Nikole her family and Reggie in prayer...B