Monday, January 30, 2006

Vitamins & Atkins

[Originally posted January 4. It bears reposting.]

I keep hearing that Atkins doesn't provide enough vitamins. This always confuses me. What are they basing this belief on? Certainly not facts! What is so non-nutritious about eating vegetables and shunning refined flour and sugar? I wonder if these naysayser are getting enough vitamins from their food. How do they know? Are they just assuming, or do they journal everything like me?

Due to the limitations of labeling (only four nutrients have to be listed), the only things I can easily track are vitamins A, C, calcium, and iron. Most labels don't list anything else. If they do contain a full list, I'll enter that into FitDay, but most products don't.

Here's yesterday's totals. As you can see, I easily got all my nutrients for the day, without a vitamin supplement.

Nutrient...............my intake...US RDA
Vitamin A mcg RE....2715.9.........800
Vitamin C mg...........137.75.........60
Calcium mg.............2616.9.........1500
Iron mg...................21.48...........15

I easily meet and exceed the US RDA from my food alone. I take vitamins (I believe everybody should), but I scarcely need them. Looks like low carb is very healthy.

While we're at it, here's my calories/fat/carbs/protein totals:

Total calories: 1950
Fat: 95g (46%)
Carbohydrates: 42g (9%) (this is net carbs, not total, since I do not have to count fiber, as it doesn't effect blood sugar)
Protein: 169g (36%)

Blood tests
My cholesterol is great: 166. HDL is 74 and LDL is 84. Triglicerides are a rock bottom 39. Do the naysayers know their numbers? Or are they just assuming they are healthy?

In case anyone cares, here's the vitamins I take:
Kirkland's B-50 (Costco) (HIGHLY recommended - I cannot say enough good things about this product. It gives me so much energy and I can feel the difference when I forget to take it.
Kirkland's High Energy Pack (Costco)

2 comments:

marauder34 said...

Question about the code on your site ...

I saw that you have several blogs listed in a pull-down menu. How did you do that? It seems like a neat HTML trick I'd like to borrow for my own maniacal purposes, but I don't feel like dissecting your page on my own to figure it out.

Unknown said...

I'll look it up and get back to you. It's kinda complicated to explain.