Thursday, June 08, 2006

Book review - Purpose Driven Life

The only reason I read this book was because my church used it as a study, but once again, they picked a good book to study. I got the companion journal as well (I also recommend that) and decided to take it seriously.

The book helped me to look at my reason for being a follower of Christ in a new way - that every part of my life should be lived for His glory. It gave me a new view of worship as an everyday activity - a way of life, not something we do once a week. Anyone who takes these five purposes seriously will be a more effective witness for Christ.

(I personally need to focus on developing a Christlike character since being self-absorbed is my struggle. No matter where you on in your walk with Christ, you can find something in this book to help you grow.)

Quite simply, I would recommend this book as something to read and study and put into practice it one's life.

My one gripe - and it is a big one so I'm knocking one star off - is that Pastor Warren uses too many paraphrases. Many times it seems he goes searching through every translation and paraphrase known to mankind to find one that will support his position. The translations I don't have a problem with, but paraphrases can often play far to fast and loose with the facts. He would have done much better - and have more credibility - if he dropped the paraphrases and concentrated on actual Scripture.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: