Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Back on track

Back on track as of yesterday and detoxing from all the carbs I ate. After probably eating 3500 calories Saturday and Sunday, I'm getting my calories back to a normal range again. I hope I didn't gain too much fat from the last two days. Curse a high carb, high fat diet for tasting so good! I have some cravings, but nothing I can't handle, and certainly a lot better than my first detox over two years ago. That was the worst!

Yesterday my calories were 1466 (yay me!), but no exercise. Carbs were only 43g. :) Today I did walk the last leg to work, even though walking is still painful. Tomorrow I hope to make it to the gym, even though I know I won't be able to work out 100%.

Slept in until almost noon today. I really needed a long, recuperative sleep to recover from the race. I feel better now.

I'm wondering about what I've heard about low-carbers needing less sleep. I used to feel my best on 9 hours when I ate the Standard American Diet (SAD). Now I routinely get along on 7 hours sleep with few sleep in days. Sometimes I sleep in until 11 on Fridays, and that's it (not this coming Friday, though!). Every other day I'm up at 9:30. That might seem late, but remember I work second shift, so I'm rarely in bed and asleep before 2 a.m. At any rate, I rarely get 9 hours of sleep anymore and don't feel I need it. I love living low-carb!

Recovering from intense physical activity (like running a race) will likely make sleep requirements higher for a day or two until you can get back to your diet plan and start feeding your body all the good stuff it needs. Even though I'm pretty well caught up on sleep I'm still dragging a bit from going from high-carb to low-carb. Once my body makes the switchover to fat burning I know I'll feel better and have more energy. For me, that usually take 4-5 days, instead of the 2-3 days it seems to take most people.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: