Friday, May 26, 2006

I don't want to talk about it.

I just don't. I got horrible news at my body fat test today. Even though I'm stronger, the trainer said my body fat is UP and muscle mass is DOWN.

He said to lay off on the exercise for a week, so I shall. The only thing I'm allowed to do is the walk to work. No weight training or cardio at the gym. Of course, he recommended personal training, but I don't have the hundreds of dollars it would cost, so that's out.

He also said that I was working out too hard so I need to cut back. He said a half hour weights and a half hour cardio was okay, but a half hour weights and an hour of cardio is too much and may be compromising my muscle mass. So I'll cut back.

I probably also need to eat a little more. I may have messed with my metabolism by dropping my calories so much during the week. I also need to start counting calories seven days a week. "You bite it, you write it." That includes Saturday. So no more peanuts or Cheese-Its or any potluck food. I'll take a shake with me tomorrow for the potluck and eat when I get home that afternoon.

I'm going to cut out the meal bars yet again and substitute eggs. I picked up another dozen today and hard boiled them. That will give me enough eggs for the week.

And as counter-intuitive as it sounds, I may not be eating enough fat (fat does not cause us to store body fat; carbs do). I may have to force myself to have that tablespoon of mayonnaise I've cut out. Better yet, have some pork rinds. My fat is often barely above the recommended daily amount of 60g - way too little for a low-carb diet. I need to focus on getting at least 80g a day, minimum.

Here's a Weight Watchers poem slightly rewritten for low-carb diets and to make it scan better. :) It's based on this poem. Both are author unknown.

Don't Quit
When you've eaten too much and you can't write it down,
And you feel like the biggest failure in town.
When you want to give up just because you gave in,
And forgot all about being healthy and thin.
So what! You went over your carbs a bit,
It's your next move that counts...So don't you quit!
It's a moment of truth, it's an attitude change.
It's learning the skills to get back to your range.
It's telling yourself, "you've done great up till now.
You can take on this challenge and beat it somehow."
It's part of your journey toward reaching your goal.
You're still going make it, just stay in control.
To stumble and fall is not a disgrace,
If you summon the will to get back in the race.
But, often the strugglers, when losing their grip,
Just throw in the towel and continue to slip.
And learn too late when the damage is done,
That the race wasn't over and they still could have won.
Lifestyle change can be awkward and slow,
But facing each challenge will help you to grow.
Success is just failure turned inside out,
The silver tint in the cloud of doubt.
When you're pushed to the brink, just refuse to submit.
If you bite it, you write it... But don't you quit!

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

A BLOG NOT HERE said...

Hi Newbirth :)

I don't think you're the type to wallow in self-pity for too long so I KNOW that you will take control of your steering wheel and get right back to the road that you were on.

I added your blog to my list today. HUG :)

moderator said...

Good point about adding fat back in. I, too, rely on a lot of hardboiled eggs, so maybe I need to be making egg salad. It's worth a try!

Great poem - I love it in all the versions.