Sunday, April 09, 2006

General update on general life happenings

I haven't been careful with my diet lately, so here I am showing weight gain. I hope some of it is just water, as I have been eating salty meat for lunch the past two weeks, and was off my diet for most of Thursday, eating way more calories or carbs than I should have. I'm afraid to get on a scale so I won't until my official weigh day.

But I have also just plain been eating too many calories - too many meals out on days I would normally be better. I've also had less gym time than usual lately, and last week my walks from the BART station to work were nixed a few times because of rain. That's exercise that I would have gotten if it had been clear. I made it to the gym once last week - I ran on the treadmill on Friday for half an hour. That was it for the whole week!

I need to nip the weight gain and lack of exercise in the bud before it gets any worse.

And now Holy Week is here, which means a little extra added craziness. I look forward to it and dread it at the same time. At least for now, though, I am leaning toward skipping the Easter vigil all together. I don't like the church I've been going to for it, and don't know of another. And it's not like I really need another service that weekend. Three services in three days is more than enough to do.

I had to be at work at 11 a.m. today for my "regular" 12-hour-every-other-Sunday shift. Since it's also Palm Sunday I had to get up at 5:30 a.m. to be out the door around 6:30 a.m. to make it to the 8 a.m. service at St. Paul's. I survived the morning on caffeine. And the service didn't even have any music! Wah! It just ain't Palm Sunday without singing "All Glory, Laud, and Honor." I found a hymnal here and I'll just sing it myself.

The early morning leaves me really tired. I don't know if I'll be able to get out of bed to do anything tomorrow before work. I can see myself shutting the alarm off and going back to sleep.

I should be able to go to the regular 10 a.m. choral Eucharist on Easter Sunday, and still make it to work by 1 p.m. so Yuriy can go to his church. I may be getting sick of him wanting off early to he can both work and go to church, but Easter is special so I don't mind a bit.

Easter weekend is the high point of the liturgical year for me. Christmas can't hold a candle to the joy of Easter. This is Christ's final triumph over sin and death. That is the best news in the world! :)

I have the studies for the next week prepared and ready to post. That will save me time trying to put them together on a deadline. Each study will be posted in the very early a.m. here, probably just before bed the previous night. I'm using Luke this year. Maybe I'll do Matthew next year.

I'm really enjoying God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew, at least when I take the time to read it. It's hard to make myself pick it up, but very easy to keep reading once I do. It's very well written and engaging, no matter how seemingly mundane a person's boyhood years might seem, or how many conversion stories I've heard. God was at work big time in this person's life, and the writing is so good that every paragraph just sucks you right into his world.

Technorati tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: