Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Ash Wednesday

Well, today is Ash Wednesday. I went to church to have the imposition of the ashes followed by communion. I go to an Episcopal church for this since Baptists don't observe it. I love the Episcopal church because of all the pageantry.

It gets me thinking about where I was last year when I wrote this. Am I any closer to forgiving those who have hurt me, especially those who have hurt me the worst? Honestly, probably not. I can't wait for heaven because there no one will ever hurt me again (hurt #1, #2, #3). I'm really, really tired of it - really, really wounded and battle weary. Come quickly, Lord Jesus!

Anyway, the service today was ashes and the eucharist. The ashes are imposed with the words "Dust you are and to dust you shall return." It's a reminder of our fragile state and that our earthly life is not forever. It's a reminder of our place is the universe as the creature and not the Creator.

Then there's the eucharist and oh my gosh it is always so powerful. The bread and wine - how can something be so simple and yet hold such vast power?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Victoria,
I hope that things start to get better for you.

Please don't feel less than you are, you are a pure hearted woman and I think you have pure intentions so don't let those with the power and privilege affect your kind heart.